Monday, November 23, 2015

Harald Harb skiing 7 months on a new, total knee replacement.

Am I happy with the new knee, yes, completely, much better in almost every way. Was it easy? Of course not, there were many dark days and dark weeks, but they pass. You keep plugging and working and training. 

                                Am I satisfied, not yet, I will be. I know what has to be done.

My new knee alignment is so much stronger then before. I used to tip that boot out 2 degrees.  This is the first video I've seen of myself skiing on an easy black run in short turns since the new knee. The new knee side alignment, right foot,  feels a little strong. Next time out, I'm moving the cuff away from my leg and tipping the boot in at the bottom of the boot, about 1/2 degree. That should level out my hips and allow me to settle over the right side earlier in the arc. I can see I'm leaning away from the left turn just a bit at the top of some turns, which is a real indicator of an over strong canting set up.



6 comments:

jack is back said...

Harald, as I previously commented, I'm currently skiing on 2 replaced knees AND 2 replaced hips. While not quite at your level, most observers consider me expert. I've been fortunate in that my "old school" instruction has always emphasized countering, pulling the off ski back underneath, & other PMTS fundamentals. Naturally, I follow your instruction religiously. At 68, I am skiing better than ever. Still hiking & skiing Highland Bowl yearly. My point, using PMTS, I ski better & with ZERO PAIN after four joint replacements. Keep after it H. Our limitations are only the ones we impose on ourselves.
Best,
Jack Ladesic

Ralph Nodine said...

Harald,
I had my second knee replacement 14 months ago. The first was due to an old injury that finally needed attention, the second was a knee that simply wore out after 66 years. I skied the last 3 days and do not recall ever feeling this good this early in the season. Harald, my point is you can expect your knee to feel even better a year from now. Keep skiing!!

Ralph Nodine said...

Harald,
I had my second knee replacement 14 months ago. The first was due to an old injury that finally needed attention, the second was a knee that simply wore out after 66 years. I skied the last 3 days and do not recall ever feeling this good this early in the season. Harald, my point is you can expect your knee to feel even better a year from now. Keep skiing!!

Harald Harb said...

Thank you, I'm looking forward to always evolving my skiing to a higher level, and skiing stronger in the future. best regards,

Harald

Mike Frost said...

Hello Harald,
It almost looks like the equipment is too reactive. Meaning that the set up of the boot, canting, edge tuning ect. is so "right on" that it can be difficult to control, even for the best. If you get it right you know you will be fast. When it is not right it looks like ... something is not right!. Control....Out of control! Trying to figuring out what "it" is the joy. See you in my rear view mirror soon ??
Best,
Frosty

Harald Harb said...

Mike is referring to the comments on the alignment Post.